Sunday, March 19, 2017

Spring?

Ah Spring, where are you? Spring starts on Monday, but you wouldn't know it here on Long Island. We were supposed to have some more snow last night, but thankfully nothing stuck. My deck is still covered from last week's snow. 
My Spring Angel needs be taken out. I wonder where I stored her? That reminds me that I really have to finish my Summer Angel design and then stitch her.

There are more stitches on Baker Beach . I am about one-third of the way finished with page 8. Last week it looked like this:
 You can see below that I have filled in some of the greys and blues below the black rock which is also finished now.
I also spent a little time working on Autumn Church. Please ignore the hoop marks.
I rarely work on this, but I decided to add a few stitches to the tree all the way to left. It was satisfying just to know that I worked on it.

I think that I will spend my Sunday working on Baker Beach and starting to quilt this pretty little quilt. 
This is one of the quilts that my mother hand-pieced. It is a crib-sized quilt. Mom had already basted it. She also started quilting the center bars in a cross-hatched pattern, but she does not want to finish it and was thinking of just getting rid of it. Noooooo....... I told her that I would quilt it and save it for one of my (hopefully) future grand-daughters. This will not leave the family though. 
I am going to remove her quilting as it appears that she used a white thread instead of cream. I have put in my first row of quilting stitches following her markings. My quilting is on the right...mom's is on the left. I don't like the border stencil that she marked. It is too small. I have a couple of stencils that may fit the borders. I will decide that when I get there.

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. On Monday I will join the Stitchery Link Party at Super Mom - No Cape. Pop on over to these sites to see what other bloggers are stitching. 

Thanks for stopping by!

17 comments:

  1. Your x-stitch pieces are really coming along so well! I just think that baby quilt is adorable..so nice that you can keep it in the family as a memory of your Mom hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to work on a quilt that your Mom started!
    It will be a family heirloom.
    Enjoy your slow stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a nice variety to work on today! :) Now I am going to go drool over your bread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your stitching is really coming along! It's nice to work on your mums quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're making wonderful progress on all of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every stitch is enhancing your "pictures". The little quilt is darling, love that you're taking it over.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful way to carry one your mother's quilt. It will be a true treasure for your grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I bought my son's macbook air and I think of you when I'm using a new computer :) What a learning curve for me! anyways your stitches are pretty and spring is coming! the sun is shining here!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice for you to be able to finish off your mom's quilt! It will be an heirloom someday! Baker beach continues to inch towards completion. I found one of my old CCS projects last week...not done yet. Maybe it can be my next hand stitching project.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely that you are working on your mothers quilt.
    Your stitching wips are looking wonderful.
    Happy Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful that you will quilt and preserve that sweet little quilt your mother hand Pieced! Such a treasure. You are making lovely progress on Bakers Beach.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely need to hang on to that quilt and lovely stitching on everything! Spring is a long way away up here in VT as well. I think this weather is good for the sugar shacks though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can tell more of the bridge XS is filled in - that's my criteria for progress. LOL Wonderful autumn project, too, and how wonderful that you have a two-generation project. Let a daughter or DIL bind it, and it becomes a three generation quilt! How sexist of me. Your son or SIL could also bind it. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, beautiful work, Cathie! Stitch on. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Cathie: You have many lovely projects going, and Baker Beach is almost done good for you, it is always nice to be so close to the end.
    The quilt your Mother started is lovely, good for you for taking on the finishing.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Cathie for your sweet comment on my blog. I love X stitching. lately all of mine have been smalls. Am getting ready to make a bigger commitment and must then decide between two.
    Love your projects they are ALL beautiful. Its good for me to have several different kinds going. If I get tired or impatient with one I can move on to another. My mother was not a stitcher or crafter, but both grandmas were. Guess that's where I get it from.

    Anyways, have a pleasant day, Enjoy with Peace for ALL,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're making nice progress on your projects. They look great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.