Sunday, September 7, 2014

Bargello Stitching

For some reason, this week I was able to make a lot of progress on my stitching. First I have finally finished cutting the strips for my Bargello table runner. It took me a little while to decide on my 10th fabric. I realized I had too many fabrics in the medium tone ranges so I added the light fabric you see on the end. I am not sure that I managed to get the gradation of fabrics right, but I am pleased with how it looks.
There are three strip sets like this. The next steps are to sew two of them in to a tube, cut the third one in half and sew the halves together into a tube. Then comes the scary part of cutting the tubes into the prescribed widths and keeping the strips in order. Thank goodness for pins and paper scraps. I think I may finish the sewing today.

I also plan on working some more on my Large Cross-stitch #1. Here is last week's update.
 This is where I am at as of this morning.
It is coming along, but I am currently at a point where I only have 4-10 stitches in some of the colors. That kind of stitching is very time-consuming. I much prefer big swaths of color. 
Today, the first project I am going to work on is shortening a pair of pants that I recently purchased. At 5'2" I always have to shorten my pants. I don't buy petite length pants because they always seem too short. After I measure and pin the pants, I will zig-zag the edge and then hand-stitch the hem. I have two more to shorten in the future.
Hopefully I will get to cross-stitch today also, but I think I will be working at my machine a bunch today.

I am joining Kathy for some Slow Sunday Stitching. Pop on over to her site to see what other bloggers are stitching today.

Thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

  1. I made one Bargello quilt and it was an over and under twist type. It just did not want to lay flat with so many seams and narrow strips. The designs make very striking quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have made one before also in a quilt class. This is a little different though. No over and unders.

      Delete
  2. I am shorter than you and I also have to shorten my pants...Not my favourite job to do, but necessary! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am only 4' 11" so petite is still usually too long. Your cross stitch is really coming along, a marked difference in such a short period of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you are shortening pants also. I am stitching a little more each day.

      Delete
  4. Turtle-speed, right? :) :) It will be fun to see the table runner and I always enjoy seeing the cross stitch progress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely turtle speed on the cross-stitch. Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  5. I love bargello quilts. Pretty colors. Your cross-stitch looks so stitch intense. The ombre sky is lovely. Looking forward to seeing more of your work ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! I love to hear from you.